Sunday, August 22, 2010

A long way to go rant

Years ago, while doing my undergrad, I fell in love. Running came into my life slowly. I don't remember exactly how, but I became hopelessly addicted. I became one of those university students who skipped their 8 am classes because damn it, it was way too early. Instead I would go to the gym. It was a dingy and sometimes stinky location with an indoor track, but armed with my ghetto cassette player, I would just run.

Then came graduation. Running continued. I was back at home with much better facilities (i.e. outside in the fresh air). I would still go out at odd times to get my endorphin fix. Sometimes even late at night, when running was so much more amazing. When else would it be cool, quiet and peaceful? I knew it wasn't smart or safe to run at 12 am but I was an addict and I just didn't care.

Then came teacher's college and full-time teaching. I tried to run, tried to exercise, but somehow never got to where I wanted to be. I became tired, stressed, and eventually lost my running spark. Instead I gained lots of fabulous experience on how to write report card comments and meet hideous deadlines (barely).

Then came marriage. Oh marriage, you've been good to me but you've been horrible to my waist-line, thigh-line, and whatever-else-line I refuse to measure.

So last month, I celebrated  my 4 year wedding anniversary. I still love the idea of running. That's what it's become now, an idea or passing thought. I miss it and ache for that endorphin rush I used to have years ago.

I've owned a gym-membership for the past 9 years and sadly came to the realization that I've gained over 7 kgs since I got married.

That's life. You have your ups and downs. And your pizzas and fries and ice-cream and awesome-expensive-chocolatey-gifts from your students that make your teaching life that much more enjoyable. And don't forget the delicious home-made delicacies that make it to my desk every few weeks.

So I hereby pledge to lose that 7 kgs that I've accumulated over the past 4 years. I will no longer comment on it being the "perfect running weather" and go vegitate on my couch.

Oh endorphins, I want you back. For good this time.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when we used to go running at the track beside our house. Man those were the days. I actually don't mind running outdoors. But on a treadmill, I feel like killing myself.

    ReplyDelete