Sunday, January 2, 2011

Egypt RANT

 You know that friend that you don't see often? The one that you've known for years, the one that you miss.. Well that's Egypt for me. I haven't been here in almost three years and I missed it terribly. But now that I'm here, it's mostly a disappointment and I want to go home.

So here is a list of things that I find irksome..

1. Traffic. Too many cars and not enough space leads to traffic chaos. No patience, no common courtesy.. It's like a battle trying to get from point A to B. I've decided to now walk or take a taxi to wherever I need to go. But walking could also get you killed so ya, better watch out. Pedestrians need to yeild to traffic, never the other way around.

2. Body odour. It's January so it really boggles my mind why some people still STINK. It's not just the stink that comes after a hard day's work. It's like a stink upon stink. In specific, girls at the local gym. Why can't they just wash their gym clothes before wearing them again? Or here's a thought.. deodorant. Sometimes I wonder if they don't realize or don't care that their smell makes others want to barf.

Also, lady who was in front of me while I was on the treadmill today. Wow. Just wow. Please don't lift weights in front of me as the fan carries your underarm stench to my nostrils. I'm already nauseated trying to run on this broken treadmill that I'm sure will catch fire any second.

Also, lady who's tights were too tight. I can tell you're not wearing any underwear.

3. To my bed and pillows.. I now know that my love for you was, is, and always will be true. I haven't had a good night's sleep since I left you. I miss you damn it.

4. Feeling sick and nauseated all the time. Maybe it's the new medication, or maybe it's what's in the food.. but lately my energy level is at a zero. I find myself napping and just lying around like a lazy bum.

5. Making plans and then cancelling them. Or waiting around for the seamstress to show up, realizing that she's just not coming and you've just wasted your day. Basically, in Egypt, today means tomorrow, 10 minutes means 2 hours, and tomorrow means next week.

6. The total lack of organization at the Doctor's office. Here I am waiting for hours and you let Mr. A, B, and C walk in and see the doctor ahead of me. Stupid *Enter appropriate vulgarity here*. I swear, next time I will swear at you in English and if you understand I won't give a crap.

7. My runs are now extinct. I was sick for a long time and haven't been to the gym in a month. I'm now down to a slow jog that doesn't go past 10 minutes. It makes me sad that I have to work that much harder to get to where I used to be.

I will now try to compile a few things about Egypt that make me happy:

1. Seeing my younger sister get married. This trumps all that I wrote above. I'm happy beyond words when I see her and her husband together. When I think about her being married I have to swallow and hold back tears. Mostly because of how things you pray and wish for happen to the people you love most. Alhamdulilah, it's wonderful to watch her at the happiest she's ever been.

2. The Mediterranean Sea - Just the sight of you calms me and makes me forget all my troubles.



3. My nieces. I'm so happy that I will be able to watch you grow in the next few months before I have to leave. I don't appreciate being scratched, bit, barfed on,  or having both of you pull my hair simultaneously, but I've fallen in love with you. Your smiles and laughter make my heart happy.

4. Spelling mistakes in the most random locations. Like this juice shop that misspelled EVERY word, including juice.


Ok, that's all I got for now. Gotta get me some Fig Juiec.

4 comments:

  1. I missed this blog! I'm so glad you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Alaa!
    Fav quote: Basically, in Egypt, today means tomorrow, 10 minutes means 2 hours, and tomorrow means next week.

    Love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha waeee these things can happen anywhere:P
    but it was a fun post :)

    ReplyDelete